Commas appear to be a common area of struggle for a lot of candidates, especially when it come to IELTS Writing Task 2. As a result, essays can contain sentences which may appear ridiculously long and end up being one-sentence paragraphs. Here is an example:
We are becoming increasingly dependent on computers. They are used in business, hospitals, crime detection and even to fly planes. What things will they be used in the future? Is this dependence on computers a good thing or should we be more suspicious of their benefits?
~ Cambridge IELTS Practice
- In this essay, we will discuss some of the areas that are believed to be more reliable than computers, in addition we will focus on some areas that have been affected by this dependency.
- Undoubtedly, in the upcoming years computers will be utilised in many things in our lives, furthermore they will be used in much more advanced technologies.
- One of the items that will be using computers in a big way, is the automobile industry, Many researches recently has been talking about how computers in a very short period will replace human drivers.
- Another field which will be using computers in a huge matter, is medical surgeries, in a very short period we might witness the first medical operation to be performed by computer technology.
- No one can deny the pros and cons of using computers in all the fields, Nevertheless, the impressive and precise outcome they produce.
- Though, the disadvantages from relying more and more on computers, has shown a significant impact on humans.
- One more item in my opinion that has been affected by computers is our social life, people now prefer to communicate using computers and mobile apps rather than meeting their friend in the old-fashioned way, as a result, Many younger people and teenagers, are not able to socially interact well, with their families and the elderly.
- In conclusion, the continuous development in computers will lead us to rely on it much more than we currently do, in addition they will be used in a variety of fields.
- But, we always need to be more cautious of it’s disadvantages …
Can you identify the punctuation errors in each sentence?
Feel free to share your ideas with other IELTS students in the Comment box below.
Until next time!