The topic of technology might come up in certain test questions either in IELTS Writing Task 2 or IELTS Speaking Part 2 or 3.
Here is an example of what you may be asked in an essay:
Nowadays, the way many people interact with each other has changed because of technology.
In what ways has technology affected the types of relationships people make?
Has this become a positive or negative development?
~ Cambridge IELTS 8
And here are questions you may be invited to talk about in the interview:
- Do you think that the advancement of technology has improved standards of education in schools?
- Do you think children today benefit from modern technology?
You may want to have a look at the interview below to gather some ideas to argue your points if the topic ever comes up for you. See if you can identify the words from the interview.
Cris Rowan, a paediatric therapist, gives her opinion on child development in the last decade.
She has witnessed a significant decline in:
- child _____
- child _____
- their ability to _____ _____ and _____
- 1 in 3 kids are now entering schools who are developmentally _____.
- 1 in 6 have a diagnosed _____ _____
- 1 in 4 are _____ or _____
- 1 in 11 now have an _____ to technology.
The ways in which we are raising and educating our kids are just not _____. These statistics are causally related to technology over-use.
4 critical factors in development for children to grow up healthy and succeed in school.
- They need to _____
- They need to _____ and be _____
- They need to _____ with _____ _____
- They need to be _____ to _____
Angela McFarlane, an education expert, mentions the advantages of using computer games in education:
- Computer games can be a pure delight
- Many of them require deep learning to master the games
- With structured and supervised use of this technology, can actually be hugely beneficial to children
Cris Rowan disagrees with this view because
- She is not sure if this claim is based on research _____
- No evidence to show that devices do nothing more than _____ kids
- Technology affects the brain through a pruning of the tracts to the frontal lobes, which are important for paying attention and _____, impulse _____, executive _____.
Feel free to share and compare your answers with other IELTS students in the Reply box below.