Talking about the future in IELTS Writing and Speaking

Sometimes candidates will need to talk about the future in the IELTS interview and to be able to do this well, they will need to show adequate vocabulary to refer to predictions or plans. For example, you may be asked a question like this in the essay task:

We are becoming increasingly dependent on computers. They are used in business, crime detection and even to fly planes. What things will they be used for in future? Is this dependence on computers a good thing or should we be more suspicious of their benefits?

There may also be interview questions that ask you to predict or discuss your plans. For example,

• Do you think that traditional dancing will be popular in the future? (Cambridge IELTS 6)
  • Describe a job that you would like to do in the future. (IELTS Speaking Part 2)

And speculation questions are quite common in IELTS Speaking Part 3 as well. An example:

• Do you think there will be a greater choice of food available in the shops in the future, or will there be less choice? (Cambridge IELTS 8)

Tea leaves
Creative Commons License
Ruth Hartnup via Compfight

Here are some expressions that you can use to respond to these:

• likely to
  • likely that
  • no doubt that
  • a good chance that
  • prepare for
  • hope for
  • hope that
  • sure/certain that
  • expect that
  • possible that
  • definitely/possibly/probably/certainly

Do you know how to use them correctly? See if you can fit an appropriate phrase for each of these sentences.

1. There is ___________ I will not need to do another IELTS test next year!
  2. I ________________ Brazil will play quite well in the World Cup in 2018 in Russia.
  3. It is ______________ I will eat couscous this Friday.
  4. I ________________ will be watching the Olympics on TV next year.
  5. I _____________ won’t be able to speak perfect English by the end of the year!
  6. It is _____________ that money will disappear completely in the next 10 years.
  7. I’m ___________ ___ that I will be speaking better English this time next year!
  8. I am _____________ I will be disappointed if I don’t get the job!
  9. I am __________ forget the new words you learn if you don’t right them down.
  10. Let’s ____________ I will get my visa tomorrow, so I won’t have to do this interview again!!!

Feel free to share and compare your answers with other IELTS students in the Reply box below.

Until next time!

Blog button