The role of men and women in society is another topic that may come up in either IELTS Writing or Speaking. For instance, in an IELTS Writing Task 2 question, you may be asked:
- Woman and men are commonly seen as having different strength and weaknesses. Is it right to exclude males or females from certain professions because of their gender?
- Many people believe that women make better parents than men and that this is why they have the greater role in raising children in most societies. Others claim that men are just as good as women at parenting. Do you agree?
Alternatively, in an IELTS interview, the examiner may ask you:
- To what extent has the traditional male role changed in the last 20 years?
- Do you think it’s important for boys to play with ‘boys’ toys’ and for girls to only play with ‘girls’ toys’?
You can find some interesting examples of language in the video below to help you argue your points with the examiner. Can you complete the sentences appropriately?
- Today, I think children are being _____ too much.
- There was a case in America where there was a boy who was being _____ because of it.
- Children are _____ to certain toys.
- There are certain toys that _____ their gender, sort of ______ I suppose, the way in which they’ve been brought up.
- We give dolls that try and _____ our views on what life is all about.
- But there is research that shows that children as young as _____ are aware of what they look like.
- There is so much in the media that is creating a _____ of what beauty is.
Feel free to share and compare your answers in the Reply box below with other IELTS students. If you would like to check your answers, click here.