Today marks the 10th anniversary of the tsunami in Asia. Many lives were lost and people around the world are commemorating the ones who died on this fateful day ten years ago. Natural disasters are a powerful phenomenon and this is a topic worth exploring if it comes up in your IELTS exam.
Below is an illustration of how volcanoes can cause tsunamis. See if you can identify the missing words in the text. Share your answers with other IELTS students in the Reply box below. [Click on image to enlarge]
Source: Geoscience Australia
There are two different ways that volcanoes can cause seismic 1) _____. One possibility is for a land-based volcano to 2) _____ down and collapse, forcing large amounts of 3) _____ and debris into the water. This sudden change and 4) _____ of the water column transfers to 5) _____ energy and results in waves. More debris can create a bigger increase in wave 6) _____ and number. Tsunamis can also be 7) _____ by submarine volcanoes. These underwater volcanoes can 8) _____ downwards and spew forth lava, 9) _____ the surrounding water quickly.
You can also try out these online exercises:
- Tsunami Video for ESL Classroom (watch the video and answer the questions)
- Natural Disasters, Earthquakes, and Tsunamis (downloadable worksheet)
- ESLVideo.com :: Tsunami (watch and answer)
- Girl Back Home 7 Years After Tsunami
- Japanese Return $78m Lost Tsunami Cash
- Natural Disasters: Earthquakes and Tsunamis (reading + quick quiz)
- About Tsunamis (VOA Special English 2011-06-06) (listen & read)
- ESL Videos >> tsunami
Until next time!