IELTS Speaking Part 3 – Markets

Here is an example answer from an IELTS Speaking Part 3 interview.

Souq – Zoco, Marrakech (Morocco), HDR
Creative Commons License Photo Credit: Marc via Compfight

You can read the transcript to the questions and response below:

IELTS Speaking Part 3 – Markets 1 from The IELTS Tutor on Vimeo.

Well, in the country where I live now, people generally prefer to go to outdoor markets as prices tend to be a lot cheaper and they can get a bargain and negotiate prices with street vendors. You can find items ranging from fruit and vegetables to toiletries like shampoo and soap. The sellers normally sell them either from a cart which they wheel around themselves or sometimes with the help of a horse or donkey. But quite often, you will see them being laid out on the ground in front of you and in some places, like the old medina, for instance, you can find people selling second hand things like bags and clothes and even old batteries.

Nowadays, you can see newly-built malls springing up around the country and people are starting to gravitate towards these places more and more, especially the younger ones or those who generally prefer less hassle in looking for things in different places. I mean, you can generally find everything in one place at the chain supermarkets here and I think they are becoming a booming business, these hypermarkets. However, prices are obviously higher there but in spite of that, they’re still gaining popularity among locals. Although I do sometimes fear that they will eventually kill off local businesses, I don’t that will happen as people still prefer the relationship building aspect that comes with shopping at the local grocers.

No, not really, as far as I’m concerned, anything goes in the open market. At least in this country anyway. Fish, onions, clothes, second hand watches, anything. If you’re out looking for a bargain, then the market would be a good place to hunt, I think. However, I… it’s… it’s really not to everyone’s taste. Supermarkets are much better for convenience and if you want to look for something quickly and price is not an issue, then I think that’s the place to go. But I do think that people here are rather price-conscious and many still prefer going to outdoor markets and local shops for things they need.

To be honest with you, shopping can be more of a social experience rather than people going to buy something they want and then go home. In general, however, I tend to see more young people going to modern looking shops to get things simply for the fact that I suppose brand names are more recognised despite being incredibly expensive sometimes. It may be that the younger generation favours the comfort and convenience of finding something they need from big supermarkets and getting a brand they can trust. The older ones, on the other hand, tend to be more price aware you see. Many don’t really care about the quality of the product they buy and from where they get it, as long as it’s a bargain. So, yeah, I think those are the basic differences between young people and older people when it comes to shopping.

Until next time!